Tip hours extended as bin strike drags on

Opening hours for waste dumps are being extended for a second time as Birmingham's bin strike continues without a resolution.
Birmingham City Council declared a major incident this week amid rising concerns of risks to public health, with uncollected rubbish blighting streets and attracting rats.
The temporary extended hours are set to come into effect from Monday, with the site at Kings Norton open until 22:00 and the rest of the city's tips open until 21:00 on weekdays.
Unite, the union representing the striking workers, says the council is forcing some staff on to pay levels barely above the minimum wage, but the council maintains it has made a fair and reasonable offer.
On Friday, Downing Street told Unite to "drop their opposition" to pay changes, but the head of the union called on ministers to "get the decision-makers in a room".
Meanwhile, mobile bin collection points have seen mile-long queues as residents try to get rid of their uncollected rubbish.
'Causing harm'
The council said declaring a major incident would allow it to increase street-cleansing, explore support from neighbouring authorities, work with partners to better manage health and fire risks, and allow increased data and intelligence sharing, the Local Democracy Reporting Service said.
Council leader John Cotton said earlier this week: "It's regrettable we have had to take this step, but we cannot tolerate a situation that is causing harm and distress."
Work to tackle the backlog of rubbish continued on Saturday as a council spokesperson said they sent out 21 trucks on 30 routes.
In a post on X, they added: "Additional street cleansing crews will be out today to clear some of the backlog waste."
Some residents replied to the message giving the postcodes of areas which they said have not seen collections for four or five weeks.

The strike was triggered by a dispute between the council and the union over plans to scrap the role of Waste Recycling and Collection Officer (WRCO), a move that the union said would lead to pay cuts.
Councillor Majid Mahmood, cabinet member for the environment, said: "Not a single worker needs to lose a penny.
"Every worker has been offered the same grade and the same pay within the street-scene division."
On Friday, a government spokesman said: "Unite need to focus on negotiating in good faith, drop their opposition to changes needed to resolve long-standing equal pay issues, and get round the table with the council to bring this strike to an end."
But Unite general secretary Sharon Graham said: "The bottom line about this dispute is that these workers woke up one morning to be told they would be taking up to an £8,000 pay cut.
"They are being made to pay the price for austerity and bad decisions by Birmingham City Council."
She said the union had been in negotiations in good faith for weeks.
She added: "The council are only scheduling meetings once a week. Unite has said it is ready to negotiate anytime and every day if necessary."
Follow BBC Birmingham on BBC Sounds, Facebook, X and Instagram.